Safety is NO game!
April 13th is National Scrabble Day, and the birthday of the original inventor of the game, Alfred Mosher Butts.
This month, Korte & Luitjohan began an in-depth look at the top four construction hazards, the “Fatal Four”. First we will look at the number one cause of death in construction – Falls.
According to the United States Department of Labor Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the top four causes of construction fatalities are: Falls, Struck-By, Caught-In/Between, and Electrocutions.
TO PREVENT FALLS:
- Wear and use personal fall arrest equipment.
- Install and maintain perimeter protection.
- Cover and secure floor openings and label floor opening covers.
- Use ladders and scaffolds safely.
Safety is a priority on every Korte & Luitjohan job site. We work to ensure that every person goes home safe, every day. Some steps we take are:
- We have on going training for all employees on the proper use of safety equipment and materials.
- We inspect Personal Fall Arrest Equipment yearly, and before every use.
- We identify all safety protections necessary at every job site and prepare a Fall Protection Plan.
- We identify all open man ways and stairs at the start of every project, and install guard rails when needed.
- We inspect all ladders and scaffolding before each shift to confirm they meet all safety requirements..